The Purpose of the Parent Association
The purpose of the Parent Association is to provide a structure through which the parents/guardians of children attending Gowran National School can work together for the best possible education for their children. The Parent Association will work with the Principal, staff and Board of Management to build effective partnership between home and school. The Parent Association are members of National Parents Council Primary and we are guided by our constitution.
THE ROLE OF THE PARENTS ASSOCIATION
Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve higher levels when parents and teachers work together.
- The Parent Association can advise the principal and Board of Management on policy issues and incidents that may require a review of school policy, e.g. Bullying, Safety, Homework, Enrolment, Behaviour problems etc.
- Parent Associations can suggest and/or organise extra-curricular activities.
- The Parent Association is a support for parents in the school.
- The Parent Association can invite speakers to address the parents on issues which are topical or relevant.
- Fundraising for the school by the Parent Association will be done with the prior agreement of the Board of Management. The Parent Association committee will agree with the Board of Management as to the specific purposes for which funds are to be raised by the Parent Association.
- The Parent Association is not a forum for complaint against either an individual teacher or parent. The Complaints Procedure is the mechanism for this.